Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Need advice on how to deal with an interracial relationship.?

I am in an interracial relationship right now. He is hispanic and I am white. I have had so many people give me so many rude comments about whether or not he is legal. Anyways, I am having the hardest time in the relationship. I love him with all my heart, but it seems like even my closet friends make rude comments to me. It is like everyone disapproves of us dating. My own parents even say little comments to me, that they know will upset me. I find myself sometimes afraid of what people will think when they see us together. Like if a friend wants to meet my boyfriend;I get nervous about how they will react. I love him, but it hurts when people looks at us with shock. I don't know if can spend the rest of my life getting upset about this kind of stuff. It seems like everyone is saying crap to me about it, but no one has EVER said ANYTHING to him about it. I feel bad telling him how I feel. I have told him everything, and I feel bad because I don't want to hurt him, but I don't have anyone else to talk to about it. It seems like everyone else is jusr dying to put us down. I have heard people say, that if you really love him it wouldn't bother you, but it does and I really love him. I hate the fact that society thinks less of us because we are dating each other, I hate it. I thought after 2 years I would adjust to it, but it hasn't gotten any better. Does anyone have any advice for me? Pleae no rude comments I have cried many times about this subject, and I need help with what to do. Thanks!Need advice on how to deal with an interracial relationship.?
Well,





PARENTS - lot's of older folks have racial issues (and I suppose many young ones too). I'm not shocked that white parents wouldn't want their daughter to be with a nice, white American guy. Although I'm not sure why they would want to upset you. Sometimes parents talk amongst themselves behind the scenes about that type of disapproval.





FRIENDS - don't speak negatively about their friends' boyfriends/girlfriends. NOT if they're true friends.





I don't agree that if you really love him, it wouldn't bother you. It bothers you because these are people that you love and that are important to you but they are not willing to respect you and your decision and your intelligence to choose who you like or love for yourself, nor do they respect your boyfriend.





If he doesn't have his life together or if he is negative or trouble for you, that'd be one thing, but if he's not, and if he treats you well and makes you happy, then you need to tolerate your parents' disapproval, I suppose, but you also need to rethink your choice of racist, meddling, disrespectful friends.





Unfortunately, you may need to tell your ';friends'; to mind their business and step off.





Are there any young folks in your town who know how to respect other people?Need advice on how to deal with an interracial relationship.?
Look, forget what ';society'; thinks. If you love this man, you have to make a conscientious decision that it's going to be you and him against the world.


Don't let natural ';haters'; determine your happiness. If you love that man, then be with him; and anyone who don't like it, tell them to back off!
Try being a Black woman dating a white man. Everyone wants to see it fail. Some relatives invoked images of White slave masters raping Black women. That he was european helped a bit, but then in our age of terrorism it made some others a little suspicious of that. Afterall, why would he leave europe and come here to end up with me, a Black woman with a heritage steeped in discrimination? He's just curious was a declaration by others.








Our cultural differences were overcome by resorting to our mutual love of the arts initially. We read together, visited museums, found out we both loved Handel's messiah and attended that together. We had to focus on what we had in common because there was also a bit of a language barrier sometimes. Finally, I had a man who first appeal to my mind! I could be myself. There was baggage we both had that didn't apply to our relationship because of our cultural differences. It wasn't relevant to our understanding. We fell in love.





He knew little about Americans in general and nothing about Black Americans, except what his countrymen who arrived from Serbia before him said. I'll let you take one guess about what they had to say. They were friendly to my face, but behind my back total xenophobes. We didn't visit the old Serbian women friends of his mother for fear they'd have heart attacks. So there was pressure on both sides.





America is a racist place. I don't have much hope that it will ever be different. We can't breed our way out of it, or even legislate our way out of it. The former often leads to tortured children torn between loyalities to their heritage and feeling they must choose. Look at how people ridiculed Tiger Woods and Hallie Berry for embracing all of their ethnicity and not just the Black blood. Look at the people dooming the president-elect (especially on Y/A! - a little microcosim of society) just because he has an African American heritage too. Look at affirmative action issues. You won't ever escape this pressure. Not here in America.





What to do? Can you be oblivious to the world around you? That's your only chance. You can stay with him and dodge the slings and arrows for a lifetime. You can also move to communities that don't make such a big deal of it. You can be happy if you don't let the race issues which are never going to go away break you apart.





I'm left to wonder if it was that or some of the ugly things people wanting to break us apart said, especially the curiosity part, and that is something you are already risking too if it doesn't last. My bf went back to Serbia to attend his mother's death bed. I heard he made his way back one month after I relocated to another state. That was 10 months after he left. I've since relocated again.





I may never see him again and I'll always have questions. I loved him. I hope he loved me. All relationships are hard. You can see the race question as another obstacle or let it destroy what you have.
In Australia it is very common for a interracial relationship's between white Australian men and Chinese woman.





There are also a lot of relationships between Lebanese men, and Australian woman.





If you are finding that people are being racist to your relationship, you may wont to consider moving to an area where the Hispanic tend to migrate in your city - this is what we have done, and we find that our relationship is much better for it.
I'm white and my bf of 3 years is mexican and I can't say that I have ever had that problem. I live in AZ though so it is pretty common. Maybe you guys should relocate to a more accepting city. I did date a black guy for a few moths when I was younger and I had to deal with whites being mad at me and blacks being disgusted with him. I just blew it off because to me love is not any color and it's not my fault if white guys are not attractive to me. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment